Saturday, August 31, 2013

Paradise

I got an overwhelmingly positive response to my last post. Thanks gang. I don't know what resonates so well with you people, but I'll stay at this party as long as you'll have me. Seriously though, if I'm sitting in the corner way past my welcome and it's time to go to bed, please by all means let me know. I don't want to have to introduce an Oliver to keep you interested.

Now that I've started this blog again, I feel it's necessary to update it with workouts and food. I've been at a family function this week, so I'm not going to tell you specifically what I've been eating. In short: fat, fat, sugar, fat, sugar, sugar, fat.

For activity, I took a walk yesterday and today along a road I used to run, so they were bittersweet outings. With the whole bulging herniated ruptured whatever in my neck (MRI scheduled for Wednesday, stay tuned for a Valium-riddled freakout post next week), I can't really do anything. But walking feels just right. I'm still an advocate for walking things off. I mean, the past few days, I've been uncomfortable--mostly because I wore heels and stood for the most the day like a total jackass--but today I feel pretty good. I'm not planning any cartwheels, but a walk? Yeah. Sure. That's nice.

And as I waxed rhapsodic during my walks about the lovely weather and the view and my life, I started thinking. When I was in college, I read Dante's Divine Comedy for a class and I remember so distinctly the interesting conversations about Inferno--the nine circles of hell and the poor suicidals who were turned into thorny bushes and eaten by harpies, which seemed so severe compared to the lusties who merely blew around in the breeze, all of which confirmed for me that a one-night stand to chase away the blues is way better than jumping off a bridge, at least in the eyes of Dante's god.

But, I can't remember a single thing about Paradise. Nothing.

Happiness, albeit great for the soul (and the blood pressure), is terribly boring and really not that memorable. While I was walking, I was reminded yet again of how fortunate I am. I live in a beautiful part of the country and have access to beautiful areas of this beautiful part of the country. Overall, happy. And, overall decidedly boring. I have nothing to write about since most of my words grow from anxiety.

I'll work on my angst tonight. For now, here is what I looked at while walking. I want to punch myself in the face.


No comments:

Post a Comment