Thursday, September 26, 2013

Not really vegan, more vegan...ish

I know I was all kinds of freaked out in my last post but lately I'm thinking, jeez. What a luxury it is to be able to afford, and be able to take the time to shop for, organic produce and cook vegan-ish foods. I started writing about minimum wage and how processed foods are less expensive and how people afford to live without support--like, how does a single mom with no family take care of her kid and work and afford childcare, medical expenses, rent, insurance, car payment, utilities? I might try to tackle that another day, but near as I can figure it, that single mom is trying to get by on about $70 a month after expenses and before buying food. It's too big a topic to just toss out there in a late-night blog post.

I was down on the Cape this past weekend and visited a couple of local bookstores to see if I could find a good Mediterranean Diet cookbook or something that might pique my interest. The only book I found was called the "Mediterranean Prescription" written by someone or a couple of someones with a bunch of initials after their names. Nope. Wasn't gonna work for me.

I ended up at Books Books Books or Millions of Books or We Sell Cheap Books or whatever it is by the mall in South Portland and found a vegan cookbook "Vegan Cooking for Carnivores" written by Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi's chef (by the way, I dare you to try to spell either of their names without looking it up) Roberto Martin, photos by Quinton Bacon, which is just cruel. Unrelated, but I also bought a bargain hardcover color illustrated anatomy book. Fascinating. Bodies are fascinating.

Anyway, I stocked up today on legumes and soy-based cheeses and butter from Morning Glory in Brunswick. Tonight, I cooked up some pasta with chick peas, spinach, and yellow raisins. Sounds gross, was actually delicious. One word: GARLIC. And next time around I might add some lemon. I found the recipe at the Mayo Clinic website--gaw, I hate to think of food as medicine unless we're talking about a pint of ice cream after a terrible breakup or a celebratory sundae after the big game.

I've never been involved in getting sundaes after the big game because I've never really been involved in anything that would involve the words "big game" unless you count the time I spooked a moose while hiking in western Maine. And by hiking, of course, I mean, walking through the woods wondering when in the hell we were going to stop and crack the beers, god damn it.

But, thinking about food as medicine might be based on the fact that, for some people, some foods are actual poison. Oh dear. I don't want to think about butter and cheese and steak and hot dogs as literal poison.

Well, great. That made me noshy.

still such a good b-fast
Let's get back on track. I made a nice little cranberry/apple loaf from this Martin guy's cookbook and I'll tell you what. It was awesome. It's yummy. Especially with soy butter.

Hahaha. I'm an asshole. It was good, but who am I kidding? I'm feeling great because yeah yeah yeah the fat-free yogurt with honey (I know, not vegan or even vegan-ish, but soooo good) and the lowfat granola and fruits and vegetables and all the complex carbohydrates and food that's good for me is making me less hungry and snacky and blah blah blah, but I would totally eat a rare steak with a nice red wine reduction and sauteed mushrooms.

Soy butter. Honestly

I took this while waiting for the doctor.
Why is this guy standing on a rock?
And you know what else? I did not work out yesterday or today even though I really really really need to get some form of exercise or activity every day. I had a consult with a neurosurgeon yesterday who poked and prodded and stuck me with pins to confirm what I already know: I am losing feeling and strength in my left arm. But, bless his heart, he did tell me I need to figure out a way to get exercise, but he also told me there are limitations as to how much he could make me feel better. And, he told me I can't ski until this ruptured disc heals. And, if a new regiment of steroids (which I start tomorrow and I can't wait for the house to get clean) doesn't work, I get a steroid injection directly into my spine, before which I am not supposed to eat, drink, take aspirin or ibuprofin, and they will stick me with an IV "just in case," which isn't terrifying at all. But, I did get to see an MRI of all my back fat. So, in all, a really great day.

I don't know what you do after an afternoon like that, but I met a friend at El Camino where I drank a bunch of medicinal tequila, ate some chips and guacamole, and drove home to watch more Season Five of Breaking Bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment