Monday, October 8, 2012

turkey run

Do you know, writing this blog makes me feel the way a good workout must make athletic people feel? It cheers me up and it calms me down. Add a glass of wine, and we're looking at a perfect evening. But, here's the thing. In the morning, I write emails to people about marina stuff. All day I write copy about skiing and snowboarding. In the evening I write materials on sailing and boating and more marinas. By the time I have a moment to write anything in here, I am completely written out. It's like trying to get up the energy to run a few miles after spending the day waiting tables.

I'll apologize in advance for the staleness of this post. But, I do feel compelled to continue posting even when I'm a little tapped out because I have to keep myself honest.

on the clock
I've been getting some form of activity every day, mostly because I'm drinking again so I really have to do something. That, and I live with a dog who requires a lot of walking. And, I live in a four-story walk-up now.

I do have something exciting to report. Last week--has it really been so long since I've posted?!--I was sitting in my office and was asked to take a picture of something up on the hill. Everyone was stupid busy so it made sense that I should hike up and take the shot. I'm mostly dispensable, and I say that without any displeasure or disgruntlement.  In fact, being dispensable can be one of the most awesome things to be.

i swear there were turkeys up there
So, I hiked up to get this picture that we needed--I don't know that it's worth going into what I was taking a picture of, mostly because it's not very exciting, a construction shot of something on the mountain--and I realized about halfway up, the loop I was walking was the very same loop that kicked my ass the day I started this blog.

Not only did I walk up the trail without feeling like I might die, when I reached the top of the walk, I saw some turkeys and I ran--let me reiterate, I ran--up the hill to try and get a picture of them. Of course, they bolted before I got to them.

not high, but pretty
I should make it very clear that I was walking along a ski trail that, for most skiers, isn't really even considered part of your ski run. It's the part of the trail that you start unbuckling and unzipping and generally stop paying attention. So, it's not like I'm hiking the Matterhorn or anything.

And, a guy on a mountain bike pedaled past me. Uphill. Sooo.... though I'm stronger than I was when I started this blog, I'm not exactly strong.

Still, I'm pretty happy about it.

The BBQ potato chips in the vending machine down the hall, however, continue to menace me. And, I saw a Dunkin' Donuts Munchkin box in the office and even though I knew the box had been there since Saturday, I still walked over to eat one. Then, when I discovered the box was empty, I was actually disappointed. I don't know what's worse: diving in to eat a two-day old, stale Munchkin or looking forward to eating a two-day old, stale Munchkin and feeling bitterly disappointed when it doesn't happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment