Monday, July 30, 2012

Already slipping

Yikes. I'm already falling behind. First of all, I'd like to point out I worked my arms on the elliptical yesterday and I've been wondering all day what's wrong with my forearms because they are sore and stiff and...oh yeah...I worked my arms on the elliptical yesterday. I should get a picture of myself when I work my arms because I look like a total jackass.

fat gal in a little car
Second, no activity today. Groom and I ran a bunch of errands, including test driving a few cars. I'm leaning toward a Fiat because it is both affordable and super stinkin' cute (seriously, watch the commercial I just linked). It drove pretty well, especially when I put it into "sport" mode--why anyone wouldn't put it into sport mode is beyond me, but whatever.

But here's a wrinkle. Groom processes things differently than I do. He takes everything into consideration and picks his best option. I, on the other hand, rule things out quickly and look at what I have remaining. I bring this up because he insisted...well, that's too strong a word...he encouraged me to take a VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI for a spin so I could be certain I would be making the most informed choice. I had already ruled out the Jetta as "beyond our price range," since we have no cash flow, what with the kitchen remodel (oh my god when did I turn into this person?!).

Anyhoo, I am currently pissed at Groom because he has taken an item I had initially ruled out and he has brought it back into the running. I would have been happy with a nice affordable Fiat but nooooo. He shows me the sirloin when I would have taken chuck and now I want that damn sirloin. Well, I really want filet, but let's be reasonable.

I keep thinking about it. I want that VW. It's a comfortable ride. It has room for dog and skis. It has leather seats. And it has a sun roof that runs stem to stern. And the steering wheel? Meow. (I've always had a steering wheel fetish. I know it's weird. When I was in college, a friend observed that I "hate everything." My response was, "I love my steering wheel." I was driving a Mercury Lynx at the time. So...yes... clearly I do love steering wheels if that thing got me hot.)

Then I started thinking, do I really want a Fiat? Do I want to be a fat gal in a little car? And, now we are back to the blog....

I did not get any activity today, unless you count walking around car lots as an activity. As we were crossing Tukey's Bridge, I suggested we walk the Back Cove, but that wasn't going to happen. I was in sandals, after all. Then I suggested we take up a physical activity together as a couple, wouldn't that be fun? Like jogging...but...not...jogging.

Groom suggested salmon fishing. 

We've settled on kayaking for now and possibly bicycling later. But, I mused that we should train for the Tough Mountain Challenge, which, he reminded me, he can't do with his bum leg. So, I don't know. Do you think a goal would help? I have never been goal oriented. Deadline oriented, yes. Goal oriented, no. I just know I am one bump away from falling off the "get in shape" wagon here.

wrong
Let's talk about my food failure. Groom and I were completely lame with food today. Breakfast was toast made from unsliced bread baked at Hungry Hollow in West Paris (local). I ate mine with Skippy peanut butter while he ate his with some sort of raspberry jam. I do want to point out, while I'm all pissed at Groom for making me test drive a car I can barely afford, he always buys chunky peanut butter because he knows l like it even though he hates it. Conversely, I always buy smooth peanut butter (ew) because I know he likes it. It's our own personal Gift of the Magi.

Lame breakfast was followed by lame lunch at Thai Garden in Freeport (meh, but local), and then dinner at home. I made pasta with frozen peas and--oh my god I can't believe I'm admitting it--garlic bread by Pepperidge Farms. We also had lettuce that I bought at Shaw's (ugh), but at least it was accompanied by a farmstand cucumber. Jesus. So wrong. Wait. We added sausage from Mailhot Sausage in Lewiston. Do I get a pass?

Tomorrow morning, I swear I'm getting on the elliptical. I swear it. I would have done it tonight, but we didn't get home until about 7:30 and, come on. That's totally martini hour.

2 comments:

  1. I am with you about the Fiat. Cool car. I worrya bout snow with those itty-bitty wheels, but drive a Scion XB which has the same small wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm worried about that too, Jay. But, the sales guy assured me the Fiat is excellent in the snow. And, why would he lie?

    ReplyDelete