Sunday, June 3, 2012

Baby Steps

Day Two
 
As it turns out, my new plan will be comprised of baby steps. Full disclosure--since "Step One" in my new life of getting stronger is to be honest--I'm drinking Starbucks this morning. It's all we had in the house. We generally keep coffee from Coffee by Design. Their coffee is delicious and well roasted and they have great politics. If you don't believe me, look it up.

"Step Three" (eating local foods) of my plan will be comprised of more baby steps. I'm also drinking that coffee with...gulp...French vanilla-flavored International Delight. We don't have any milk and I can't drink my coffee black. (It's pouring rain outside so I don't want to walk to the store and I can't drive in good conscience since it's only about a third of a mile away. Yes. I know. I'm rationalizing. And, I'm realizing I'm a bit of a princess.

I don't have the fortitude of my college roommate who still drinks her coffee black because we never had milk in the apartment 20 years ago. Today, I found this flavored creamer in the house because my husband bought it for a client he takes fishing. I mean, what am I supposed to do? Throw it away and fill the land...fill? Yes. I heard it as I was typing it. I lose.

I also never worked out yesterday. I was curled up in our big cozy chair, sucked back into "The End of the Affair," because I had looked up that quote yesterday and then I had to reread some of the other passages. Graham Greene has such a jaded but poignant view on writing. 

"I can't swim underwater!"
When I first read him, I thought he was tremendously profound. But, I was 18 and living alone in a cottage by a lake and I was baked for most of the time. Along the lines of exercise in those days, I would swim across the lake daily, which was quite a feat because to this day, I refuse to get my face wet. But back then, I didn't care about my form and I had to work off a lot of extra energy. Therefore, I maintained a flat stomach and strong arms. I made no correlation between exercise and physical stamina. None.

After Graham Greene yesterday, my brother called and we spent an hour and a half talking about...I don't even know what. Then, of course, I needed some lunch (goat cheese from Appleton Creamery, arugula from the Bath Farmers Market, a bit of bread from Borealis, which isn't as good as Standard, but I'll take it). 

I couldn't work out after eating lunch (DUH!), so I went back to reading. This time Stephen King's 11/22/63. It's pretty good.

Suddenly, it was 7:00 at night. I can't work out after 5 because it keeps me up.... lame. I know! I know! I did have supper but it was small. A boiled egg from Sparrow Farm tossed on top of more arugula. Oh lordy. I used Annie's dressing. It's from California, but it's "organic"--a word that seems to hold as much weight lately as "artisanal." Someone please tell me it's okay. Because, I love their dressing.

2 comments: