Thursday, June 14, 2012

It won't kill me

dog could use a break
At some point when I was younger, a friend told me I shouldn't exercise every day because it would be bad for me.

I always believed that. I'll even admit I used it as a crutch. If any friend asked me if I cared to join her at the gym, I would say, "Oh no sorry I can't. I worked out yesterday." I allowed myself to get to the point where I would convince myself a quick jog today meant I was all set until a week from Thursday.

Ironically (it's ironic, right?), I have never heeded this advice in any other part of my life. I suppose if I had gin one night, I might switch to bourbon the next, but more likely than not, I would drink gin two days in a row. (Who am I kidding? I would drink gin 10 days in a row.) Cheeseburgers on the dinner menu both Tuesday and Wednesday nights? Count me in. Two full nights on the couch watching movies? Child's play.

I would say to myself, "Well, one more piece of pizza won't hurt me." But, somehow, I would also convince myself an extra day of exercise could actually kill me.

Clearly, this advice about exercising came from someone who runs marathons or competes in triathlons. I imagine, when someone is in training, a day off makes a lot of sense to avoid injury or to give the body a break. It was a bad idea to give that advice to someone who casually meanders down to the store and calls it "exercise."

local beer is yummy
Having said all that, I feel great today after taking a day off yesterday. All the creaks and groans coming from my hips, shoulders, ankles, and wrists have settled down and I feel comfortable--but not in the "I'm wearing sweatpants and flip flops because that's all I can fit into" kind of way. Comfortable, like, in an "I'm sitting up straight and I'm holding my stomach in but I don't care that my coin slot is showing" kind of way.

Today, I took a walk with dog, but he got tired, bless his murmuring little heart. Tonight, for local eating, groom and I had supper at Beale Street BBQ. This "eating locally" thing is so freaking easy when I eat in restaurants.

This weekend, I plan to move two tons of bricks from one spot in our yard to another because our chimney was taken down. But, two tons of bricks + one wheelbarrow = lots and lots of exercise and not just a few creaks and groans in my body.

I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment