Saturday, June 9, 2012

Who Said Anything About Losing Weight?

Day 7

I tend to shop at Brackett's Market (the IGA in Bath), but sometimes it's more convenient to go to Shaw's...and, generally, the produce, albeit not local, is better at Shaw's. Last night, still exhausted and still slightly hungover from what has been a remarkably active nightlife week--Am I trying to impress people? Why do I suddenly have so many dinner plans?--groom suggested we stop into Shaw's for dinner fixin's. (I think that's how one should spell "fixin's," right?)

best chips ever
Not Shaw's, I said. Brackett's. Local. And then I flopped my head back down. Brackett's is local local local. They have old pictures of Bath as screensavers on their cash registers; everyone seems to be from Bath or a family member of families from Bath; and they are supplied by local purveyors. I mean, it's still an IGA, which always seem to have a whiff of sadness to them, but Brackett's also has these little pockets of yummy local deliciousness. They never have arugula, which bums me out because I can eat arugula with every meal and be happy about it. In fact, I think I would put arugula on the list of things I want with me on a deserted island. That, and Standard baguette. And, unlimited french fries with truffle oil.

Anyway, Brackett's carries local produce--which is why their selection tends to be kind of depressing--and they offer up Morse's Sauerkraut, Gelato Fiasco, and Fox Family Chips. Yeah, I am so not losing weight with this new plan.

It turns out, Brackett's did not have arugula (again), but they were carrying happy healthy fat asparagus from Swango Farm, which means the Swango Farmstand is open! Huzzah! That bodes well for summer food shopping.

[Vegetablus interruptus! Swango's farmstand isn't open today. And I would have known that if I had looked at their website or...gasp...called before swinging over to Swango. Swing over to Swango. I burst into giggles as I said that out loud on the street. All that got me was a bunch of judge-y stares from the angry youth hanging out in the park.]
I would judge too. What the hell am I wearing??
I guess these days are over.

I just got back from the farmers market--number five on the list of stuff white people like--and now I'm going to be offline for most of today and most of tomorrow. I'll try to update this post with a picture of me on the elliptical. No hiking today and I have a lot of work to do, so I'm planning to edit while pedaling... running... stair...mastering.... What do you do, technically, on an elliptical?

See how I mentioned work in that last paragraph? I really am self-conscious about it. I feel like I should drop fewer dinner party references and more work references so you don't think I sit around eating bon bons all day and drinking martinis at night. They'd be local bon bons, of course, but that's not really the point.

2 comments:

  1. I believe "fixins" is plural, not possessive.

    Did you know that in Italy they call arugula "Rocket"? I love knowing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to Italy with my husband's family last summer and I ate "rocket" with nearly every meal. I love that as well. Rocket. So perfect!

    ReplyDelete